Wednesday, March 11, 2009

What would you do







Because I work in an office full of women, I hear about a lot of shows. I don't have the opportunity to watch much tv these days, except The Office and Iron Chef America, and I really don't have much of an interest in "reality" tv. However, there's an ABC series I hear about called "What Would You Do". The show intrigued me, so I looked it up.

It's essentially a series of social experimentation. Actors are hired to go into public places and see what sort of reaction they get from standers by. It's a test to see who will call for help, who will actively help and who will continue to walk by. It's eye-opening as far as what kind of culture we live in, and of course the reactions vary. It's a very interesting idea, and I like it.

Who does stop and try to intervene? While these scenarios are staged, I wonder how many times these things happen throughout our country and I wonder how many citizens really step up and try to help? I think of the individual who got hit by a car while onlookers did nothing. He laid in the street and died because no one could even pick up their cell phone and dial 911. Three numbers...three buttons could have saved their life. I want to know what motivates us as humans to assist or ignore.

The human inclination these days is so narcissistic. It's disgusting...

The hopeful thing about this show is that some do stop to help.

No comments: