Wednesday, March 18, 2009

Please vote for me...

I saw the most amazing documentary last night called "Please Vote for Me". It was the story of a democratic election held in third grade class at a private school in China. Yes, I said democratic and I said China in the same sentence. These kids are only in third grade, but the documentary reveals they have the know-how to run a campaign, trickery and all. This adorable film captures these students lives in the weeks leading up to the big election as they learn what democracy is and promote their potential to be "class monitor". They prepare speeches, talents for a talent show and recruit "assistants" during their campaigns, and their parents coach them.

I think this is a ground-breaking (and potentially dangerous) move the teacher takes in initiating this democratic election. Very, very good film.

I can't get enough of documentaries lately. I need to make mention of Young @ Heart also. It is about a group of senior citizens who travel the world singing hits from artists like Hendrix, Cold Play and James Brown. It's an extremely touching documentary as well, and worth a watch.

No comments: