Tuesday, September 22, 2009

lobbyists, joggers, and flavored tobaco

So, remember a few posts back when I accepted the challenge to "go to the cutting edge of my competance", experience a "temporary loss of security" (in Madeline Hunter's words) ? Well, I have done it. Today I called lobbyists for two hours. Boy was it uncomfortable, at first. Honestly, by the end of the whole deal it was a pretty good experience. All of the lobbyists I got a hold of were pretty nice guys willing to help. I'm sure I wouldn't neccesarily agree with all their issues, but I was happy to help out my local state rep (and future brother-in-law). The golf tournament stuff is going... well, it's going. Soliciting local businesses has turned out to be more difficult than it all sounded. I did get one guy to sponsor a hole for $500 which I feel is a great success. I got about 5 maybes for participation in the tournament itself, which would be another $500, or possibly $400/team. I'm happy to help. I love organizing, planning and assisting with all these events. I'm really adding to my experience by doing so. I love the fact that I started off young-adulthood with the internship in Kansas City. I feel like those experiences opened so many doors for me throughout the years. I hope this is a successful endevor for the campaign.

It's official. My paperwork has gone through all the higher-ups and I can start my second practicum THIS WEEK. Finally. I need to do a minimum of 3 hours per week for the next 8 weeks or so. I'm excited to get it going! I love spending time in the classroom, especially with a seasoned professional. I know I will learn a great deal.

Went to the gym tonight to do my cardio regiment. It felt good. Sooo good. On my way I see this girl, about my age, jogging down a side street at dusk. Come on, we've all seen CSI and know this is not a good idea, even if you live in Pleasantville. Why do women do this? It disgusts me. BE SAFE! Use common sense for goodness sake! I know it's kind of silly to drive to a destination to work out, but hey I always feel safe on my little eliptical. Next time I witness this, I may have to be the good citizen and stop and try to talk some sense itno these people.

What's this about the government banning flavored tobacos??!! The argument is that by flavoring tobacco, we are marketing directly to children. Let me just say that I am an ADULT and I really enjoy flavored tobacco. What has this world come to? Why is it that that government makes the most ludicrious laws which don't seem to really solve any issues but yet fails to put laws in place to settle other, legitimate issues. Last time I checked, most 10-year olds probably don't even know that flavored tobacco exists. SIGH.

Hitting up Denny's tonight with some of the dorm girlies - woot woot. A movie is to follow, most likely. Should be good times man. The to-do list is long and complicated but I'm making headway everyday.

Love, HR

No comments: