Monday, September 21, 2009

Gettin' with it -and- "Withitness"

I've learned a new term in my Educational training here..... The word - withitness. One of my professors used it to describe the way effective teachers deal with and anticipate behaviors before they arise - by being completely aware of what is, or isn't, going on at any given moment in the classroom. I thought, oh how cute, this professor made up a cute little term. No, no, no, my friend. Withitness came up in not one, but TWO of my education textbooks. I was amazed. Educators can make up words that BECOME words! How neat is that?! According to WikiEd, withitness is: The Teacher's awareness of what's happening in the classroom/having eyes in the back of one's head :-p I love it! The term goes back to a Jacob Kounin in the 1970's. How about that.

Speaking of getting with it, getting to things, I finally partook in yoga class this evening. I've lived here a good 6 weeks and had yet to attend a yoga class. Disgraceful, I know. It meets twice a week, and I'm going to make it one of my weekly objectives to get there twice. I figure I can do yoga on Mon/Thurs and take care of cardio/weights Tues/Wed. It's ambitious, I know, but if I get into the routine, I'll be able to accomplish it. I already feel so much better. It will help with the stress. The stress is somewhat at a managable level right now. Well, it is completely under control. Brian is amazing, and this place feels better everyday. Feels more like home.


Trying to reconnect with an old friend of mine, God. Not that I've been completely neglecting our relationship lately but I'm not near as connected or on-track as I should be. So, I'm working on that. Prayer-journalling. It's kind of like blogging to God. I did it for the first time last night and it was really helpful. I know it will be a good tool for moving forward, examining what needs to be worked on and then looking back and seeing what God has accomplished in my life. I'm excited about it.

No comments: