I'm so glad that poor captain got out of that hostage situation! Pirates, who would have thought?! At any rate, we need to get them in CONTROL! Scary stuff.
"The 'American life' is a hard life." I had a coworker say this to me last night. She is not from the U.S. so her perspective was interesting to me. Like many others, her and her family came here to work and have a better life for her children. She works a lot and is a hard worker. She has been able to send her kids to school in America and has overall improved her quality of life as a whole. She is contributing and participating in her community through church and relationships with friends she has made here. I think it's awesome. She is living the 'American Dream' in her own little way. When she said the comment to me, my first thought was "American life is a piece of cake!" But, the more I thought about it, it's really not. American life is full of many hours of hard work sometimes just to make ends meet. What kind of quality of life is that? I'm not just talking about people living below the poverty line here, I'm talking about the lower-middle-class. The LMC is growing by the year. You've got middle-class suburban families who rely on food banks to feed their families and it's not because they're slacking off. CEO's who abuse their power and destroy corporations are raping the economy...and other such issues.
Between yesterday and this Sunday, I am working 68 hours. It's hard work, some of it, and I will be physically beat by Sunday night at 10 PM. But, I am so very grateful to have two jobs, especially right now. Maybe that is the essence of 'American Life', a work ethic and the opportunities in themselves. Yes, it's not easy but no one ever set out to make life in America easy. In my opinion, if you're not willing to work your ass off at an honest job then you don't deserve all the other freedoms this glorious country offers. So, yes it IS hard.
It's 2009 and I am a young woman in America working two jobs and working towards a college degree. America's made great strides and its' citizens (especially through the recession) will continue to prove that it takes lots of hard work and determination to survive, thrive and be active participants in our communities. The tireless hours make us stronger people; makes us who are as a culture and when we can collectively contribute some effort, there's no stopping us.
I know I probably rant about how dumb we are sometimes as a society but it's time to do some bragging. I'm proud of all those Americans out there doing all they can in this frail economy and continue to provide for their families. High-fives all around my hard-working American friends.
p.s. if you're on welfare...................................................................... get a job. it's easy.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment