8.17.09
I can’t imagine how it would feel to be in a different country…just dropped off with no family, no friends, no resources. I don’t think I could cope. The loneliness, the feeling of isolation and fear.
International students moved in today. We have spent the day helping a few of them out. It’s got to be so humbling. Something as simple as a text to us is impossible for them. We have needs, we know where to go. These students are living in the United States for the first time and even basic needs are hard to fulfill. Where is the store? How will I get there? Where can I get food? Where am I in relation to… How do I buy books?
We have about 40 international students in this dorm. That’s quite a few. They don’t get to choose where they live, so I suppose it’s easy for the university to stick them in the non-air-conditioned dorm that has a bug problem. Can’t complain when there’s a scholarship involved, right? Right! I know that first-hand.
I hope I can help these students adjust. It is my job, after all.
I’m a little homesick, I’m not gonna lie.
It stormed today and it was amazing… off to bed to read.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
I just did a workshop presentation for int'l students here and I was amazed to read the list of home countries - we've got kids from Pakistan, Sweden, China and even Zimbabwe. One of my friends who just graduated with me is from India and the first time her parents were on-campus was for graduation! It was crazy!
(PS - I don't know if you'll remember me but I'm Cynthia's other friend Heather! :-D)
oh ya, i remember you! :) she's lucky to have two Heathers LOL.
It's incredible to me how they travel here, obviously to receive the 'best' education but I feel so sad for them having to be so far away from their families.
i could never do it. i could never do what cynthia has done, is doing! she's stronger than i!
Post a Comment