
There was a report on the news this morning that (ready for this?) ... THE INTERNET IS ADDICTIVE. I've been thinking about it all morning. It's true. I've come to this conclusion. They stated that if you were on the Internet for more than four hours a day, you may be in danger of becoming depressed, reclusive. I'll tell you one thing, I will be on the Internet for the next eight hours. I must be really addicted, and really in danger.
Over the past ten years or so, we've really become an Internet culture. The next generation of children have been coined "tech heads" or something to that affect. The thing that is so scary about all this is that the Internet makes us all so vulnerable and so accessible. Want to say something to a high school sweetheart who broke your heart? Not only can you message them anonymously, you can WRITE IT ON THEIR FACEBOOK WALL for the world to see! We completely expose ourselves to our closest friends and to perfect strangers. (In fact, I am doing it right now). What does this mean for our future? Will my kids attend school online?
I'll tell you what, when facebook conversations and pictures start becoming evidence in court...we've got problems. I know of this first-hand. I've witnessed it, and I've utilized the tool. It was sneaky... and it was effective. When people post these items, they're just asking for it.
It's great to have billions of resources at our fingertips but this Internet craze hurt us as well. Employers peruse the Internet social networking sites such as facebook and myspace before hiring individuals. As far as I am concerned, there is nothing wrong with this. If you are willing to put it out there for the entire world wide web, why would you be ashamed of a potential employer seeing it? This is happening though and it's costing some people their jobs.
The Internet does have a certain control over us, doesn't it? If it didn't, companies wouldn't take the time and effort to block various sites from their employees. I can say that I have been addicted to the Internet since I was in the sixth grade when I discovered AIM chatting and Napster. The world is becoming more wireless all the time. Most of my assignments require, at the very least, Internet research. My job requires Internet usage. As long as my day to day activities require me to use the Internet, my addiction will continue to be fed. I think we are all addicted. What do we do when we cannot access our facebook pages? We use facebook mobile. Other social networking sites also allow you to use them through your mobile phone. Wow.
What kind of world do we live in? A technological one. Stay tuned... we're going into oblivion here.
Okay.. I just spell-checked and according to Blogger.com, Internet is capitalized. Internet is apparently, now considered a proper noun.
Thanks for reading. See you in cyberspace.

1 comment:
I agree, Joan and I don't have Internet at home yet(more than a month now) because we are still waiting for the company to send us the package and well, I miss it! I'm forced to return from lunch early just so I have a few minutes to check facebook and gmail, now I will be checking your blog too!
Post a Comment