
271 million turkeys have been raised this year for the Thanksgiving season... In 2007, the total weight of all turkeys raised specifically for this holiday was 7.9 billion pounds!!! These figures are astonishing, along with figures of other Thanksgiving Day favorites- Cranberries: 689 million lbs., 1.1 billion lbs. of sweet potatoes, over 769,000 lbs. of green beans. WOW.
What is the purpose of Thanksgiving again? Oh yeah! GIVING THANKS for our families, friends, etc. I think this year, especially with the economic crisis we've found ourselves in, it's time we all took a count of our blessings. The first Thanksgiving was quite a remarkable happening, if one stops to contemplate it. It happened in September of... well, a long time ago. It happened in St. Augustine, Florida. It featured many of the dishes we still find on the traditional Thanksgiving spread. What was it's purpose? Giving thanks for a harvest, for friends, for new beginnings. Sometimes, I think we forget the important details that made this holiday what it is. I had forgotten myself. I think a lot of times we take this holiday for granted, as we take many other things in our lives for granted.
This year it would probably be easy to have a bitter attitude. "What do I have to be thankful for? This has been the hardest year of my life." Many have lost money in the stock market, have been laid off, are struggling to pay the bills. Many of us are going through hard times.... health issues have been prevalent as well. Through all these trials though, I know there are many things we can be thankful for. We opened our eyes this morning. We have opportunities in this country that individuals elsewhere cannot fathom. I know it sounds simplistic but, we have a place to take a hot shower and most of us have a backyard to enjoy.
I have to say that personally, this has not been an easy year. It sure hasn't been my most difficult though and for that, I am thankful. I find myself needing to switch schools (again) and not sure of what that school will be. I think any time there is uncertainty, it's scary. But hey, I have the opportunity to attend school. And, I am thankful for that. I am thankful for the support system that I have in place in my life. God has blessed me with an amazing man and I am so thankful for that new development. Most importantly, I am thankful that God is in control.
So, this year as I sit down to our non-traditional Thanksgiving dinner which will consist of turkey sandwiches, and watch football and chat it up with relatives I haven't seen in awhile, I will be dwelling on all I have to be thankful for. So, Happy Thanksgiving to everyone!!
If the economy continues at this rate....perhaps we should all go into turkey farming?! Seems pretty lucrative.

2 comments:
My girlfriend is so insightful. I am proude
She is, and she is my best friend! Next year I'll be pondering turkey farming with you in KC.
Post a Comment